Create your own simple and eco-friendly seed planting pots!
These pots are quick to make, very easy and best of all – 100% biodegradable! They are absolutely perfect for seed starting which is what I use them for.
All you need is a pair of scissors, some newspaper and a pot dolly! Here is a link to where you can purchase a pot dolly from if you don’t already have one. (NB This is an affiliate link.)
- Start by cutting the newspaper into strips. I cut my local tabloid newspaper into quarters (down the centre and then vertically cut each page in half) to get strips about 15cm tall. You may need to change this to match the size of your pot dolly.
- Fold the strips not quite in half, so that you get a section at the bottom with a thickness of only one sheet of paper. The section that is double thickness should match the height of your pot dolly.
- Wrap the paper around the pot dolly.
- Holding the paper in place with your thumb over the join, press the single thickness newspaper inwards over the bottom of the dolly.
- Press the dolly into the base, and twist firmly back and forth to form your pot.
- Remove the pot from the dolly … and you’re done!
Do watch the video below if you prefer a step by step visual explanation of the instructions.
The pots last 4-6 weeks with careful watering, so I use them to start seeds in, before planting the whole pot out into a larger pot for growing on.
Do let me know if you give them a try!